Marieholm vicarage

Marieholmsvägen Luoto


The main building of Marieholm was built in 1791 and extended in 1898 at the western end. The name Marieholm comes from the wife of the first priest in Luoto, Anders Ehrström. The vicarage was built close to the church, on a waterway, according to the wishes of Ehrström. The beautiful surroundings along the shore of Fageruddsviken have remained unchanged.


The yard still features outbuildings, such as a horse stable and a cowhouse, with natural stone footings. The farmworkers’ cottage housed one of Finland’s first post offices, managed by the sacristan. The cottage now serves as the parish office.


The vicarage yard provides a view on the postcard-like church from the 1780s. The vicarage is currently not open to visitors.




Before his theology studies, Anders Ehrström studied natural sciences in Uppsala, where one of his teachers was Carl von Linné. Ehrström introduced potato cultivation in Luoto, and by the beginning of the 1800s it had become common throughout the whole parish. The garden he established was considered exemplary.




Marieholm vicarage, main building


Former farm workers’ cottage, present parish office


The main building seen from the lake


Vicarage yard and outbuildings


Luoto church in summer 2017


Luoto church in 1974 (photo: Veijo Laine / National Board of Antiquities - Musketti, Rakennushistorian kuvakokoelma)